Amazon Truck Accident Lawyer in Michigan
Were You Injured in an Amazon Truck or Delivery Truck Accident?
As a multi-billion dollar company, Amazon has become a household name in every corner of the United States, including Michigan. In fact, many families actually rely on Amazon and its Prime delivery service for last-minute orders and household goods. With so many deliveries to make and so many trucks on the road, it’s no surprise that the occasional Amazon truck accident is bound to happen. However, when these Amazon delivery truck accidents result from negligence, victims can file a personal injury claim for their losses.
If you were injured in an accident with an Amazon delivery vehicle, you may be eligible for financial compensation. An Amazon delivery truck accident lawyer with Lipton Law is here to examine your case, gather evidence to build your case, and support you throughout the litigation process. To schedule a free consultation about your situation, please call our Southfield law office at 248-557-1688 today.
What Causes Amazon and Delivery Truck Crashes?
Just like other truck accidents, Amazon delivery trucks can cause accidents in many ways. Some of the most common causes of Amazon delivery accidents include the following.
- Reckless driving or speeding
- Distracted driving
- Poor training
- Mechanical failures
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Speeding to complete all deliveries on time
- Delivery driver fatigue
- Poor visibility because of packages
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Sudden lane changes
All commercial delivery drivers must follow strict safety protocols regulated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These protocols determine how many driving hours are allowed each day, as well as required rest periods. Unfortunately, many of these regulations do not apply to every Amazon delivery truck driver on the road.
Many delivery drivers who work for Amazon are independent contractors. This status not only opens the door for poor driving conditions, but also for complications with injury claims. If you were harmed in a car accident with an Amazon delivery truck, speak with a qualified commercial vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Can You Sue Amazon After an Amazon Truck Accident?
Whether or not you can sue Amazon directly depends on a number of factors. With teams of lawyers on their side, they have carefully crafted a system that absolves them of liability for accidents – or so they believe. The specific circumstances of your accident will determine who is liable for your injuries and damages.
Regardless of the employment status of the Amazon delivery driver, you may have the right to pursue legal action and financial damages. An Amazon delivery truck accident lawyer with Lipton Law can analyze the specifics of your case and give you solid advice on how to proceed.
If Amazon delivery drivers cause accidents, victims may be able to sue those drivers directly for damages. Therefore, even if you cannot directly sue Amazon, you may still have a valid auto accident claim.
Common Injuries in Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents
Injuries of varying severity can occur during delivery truck accidents. While some victims may come out with only minor cuts and bruises, others may lose their lives. Some of the most common injuries sustained in delivery truck crash cases include the following.
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spine injuries
- Neck injuries
- Dislocated joints
- Fractured bones
- Burn injuries
- Cuts, bruises, and lacerations
- Internal injuries
- Wrongful death
- Other severe injuries
Medical bills from these injuries can quickly pile up, and you may wonder how you will pay for them. At Lipton Law, we offer free consultations for motor vehicle accident victims to help them understand their rights as personal injury victims. If you were injured in an accident with an Amazon truck or van, you may be eligible to file a claim for financial damages.
Why Are Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents So Serious?
When accidents with Amazon delivery trucks happen, they are often devastating to everyone involved, especially those in smaller passenger vehicles. But what makes these truck accident cases so serious? Several factors contribute to the devastating nature of Amazon accidents, including the following.
- Large blind spots: Amazon delivery truck drivers often deal with large blind spots in their trucks. Failing to give themselves enough room on the road can make the surrounding area more dangerous for other vehicles.
- Driver fatigue: Driving while fatigued is often just as dangerous as driving under the influence. If Amazon pressures drivers about delivery times, they may be tempted to drive while fatigued. This can increase the risk of serious accidents.
- Distracted or reckless driving: Delivery time pressures from Amazon may also spur drivers to speed and drive more recklessly. Boredom is also a culprit, as many delivery drivers work long, solitary hours. They may be tempted to look at their cell phones to relieve that boredom.
- Insufficient Amazon driver training: Without sufficient training in driving commercial vehicles, drivers are more likely to make costly mistakes. Amazon is responsible for hiring capable drivers, as well as providing adequate training. Unfortunately, many Amazon delivery driver job listings require no previous experience.
- Substance abuse: Truck drivers work long, solitary hours with nothing to focus on but the road. This can lead to loneliness, anxiety, and depression. Some drivers may cope with these issues through substance abuse, which is extremely dangerous on the road.
- Uneven load distribution: Delivery trucks are large, top-heavy vehicles. If the packages are not evenly distributed across the truck’s axles, this can increase the risk of tipping over.
- Higher difficulty turning and stopping: Amazon delivery vans and trucks are heavier and taller than the average passenger car. This makes them more difficult to maneuver while turning and stopping, which increases the risk of accidents.
Who Pays for Your Injuries if You Are in an Amazon Truck Accident?
Depending on the nature of the accident and the classification of the driver, you may have to pursue different avenues when seeking compensation. If the driver is an Amazon employee, you will likely file a claim with Amazon’s insurance. However, what if the driver was an independent contractor, such as those driving for Amazon Flex?
In this case, you have one of two options. You can file a claim through the driver’s insurance policy, or you can file a claim with Amazon flex insurance. Amazon Flex insurance coverage provides extra coverage for drivers who maintain their own auto policy. Their commercial policy allows for auto liability coverage of up to $1,000,000.
Determining Liability After an Amazon Truck Accident
Proving liability in commercial accidents can be difficult, but working with a delivery truck accident attorney can give you the needed edge. One aspect that makes these cases so complicated is whether or not the driver was an independent contractor. Even if they wear an Amazon uniform and drive an Amazon truck, they are likely an independent contractor.
As we mentioned before, this is one way in which Amazon attempts to avoid liability for drivers’ mistakes. When they hire independent contractors rather than employees, they can claim the drivers were not acting on behalf of the company when the accident happened. This may also mean that you must file a claim with the driver’s insurance instead of Amazon’s.
Working with an Amazon truck accident attorney can help you gather the evidence you need to prove liability after an Amazon delivery accident.
What to Do After an Amazon Truck Accident
After any auto accident, you should take certain steps to protect yourself and your potential case. The following sections explain what to do in the event of an Amazon truck crash.
Seek Medical Treatment
Immediately after your accident, you should seek medical attention. Having a doctor examine your injuries as close to the accident as possible is crucial. This will tie your injuries more closely to the accident. This will also give you strong evidence of the severity of your injuries.
Speak with a Truck Accident Lawyer
You should also speak with a Michigan truck accident lawyer. With our experience handling auto accident claims in Michigan, you can rest assured that your case will have the best possible chance of success. We know what evidence it takes to craft a strong case, as well as what it takes to win them.
Do Not Speak to the Insurance Company
If an insurance agent calls you or approaches you, do not speak to them about the accident. They may ask you questions, but anything you tell them could be used against you in settlement negotiations. If you do talk to Amazon’s insurance company, make sure you have your attorney present. You can also direct the company to speak directly with your attorney instead of you.
What Options Do I Have After an Amazon Truck Accident?
In Michigan, you have several options for seeking compensation after an Amazon delivery accident. If you want to file an insurance claim with the other party’s insurance company, the following options exist.
- File a claim with the driver’s insurance, or through the supplemental insurance provided by Amazon
- Start a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver
- File a personal injury claim against Amazon directly
- Start a personal injury claim against the responsible third-party contractor
Amazon does whatever it can to avoid all liability for accidents that happen while delivering Amazon packages. However, with an experienced personal injury attorney, you’ll have a better chance of succeeding. The attorneys at Lipton Law don’t back down from a fight, even with one of the largest companies in the nation. We will give you the best chance to succeed in your claim.
How to File an Amazon Truck Accident Claim
Before taking any other steps, we always recommend securing legal representation. As we mentioned before, Amazon is a tough opponent. Diving in head-first without an attorney could lead to disaster in a case like this. Contact an attorney at Lipton Law for skillful representation from an experienced Amazon delivery truck accident attorney.
Once you have an attorney, you may want to report the crash to Amazon. If the driver’s behavior was unsafe, you can report this to Amazon by calling 844-311-0406. When you decide to follow a claim, your attorney will handle the legal footwork while you focus on recovering from your injuries.
Throughout the claims process, you may need to do the following for your case.
- Give Amazon’s insurance information to the authorities.
- Inform Amazon of the accident after securing an attorney. Give a detailed description of the accident that includes time, date, location, type of damage, and parties involved.
- Document all property damage, injuries, police reports, and dash cam footage. These will all serve as important evidence in your case.
Michigan Statute of Limitations for Amazon Truck Crashes
As you take time to recover, it is crucial to begin filing your claim as soon as possible. In Michigan, you have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim. This is known as the statute of limitations for personal injury in Michigan.
The sooner you get started, the better. Evidence fades with time, and courts may look unfavorably on your case if you wait too long to file. Contact an attorney as soon as possible after your accident to ensure your case is filed promptly.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help My Case?
Working with a personal injury lawyer after a truck accident has many benefits. Some of the most crucial actions personal injury lawyers take in cases include the following.
- Investigating the accident and your claim: Your attorney will examine every aspect of the accident, taking in as many details as possible. They do this to both screen their clients and start the process of gathering evidence.
- Gathering evidence for your case: Personal injury attorneys are well-acquainted with the evidence that wins cases. We will thoroughly investigate and compile a portfolio of evidence to support your claim against Amazon.
- Settlement negotiations: Before a trial happens, both sides engage in settlement negotiations. We will discuss a potential settlement with the at-fault party and attempt to reach a fair settlement agreement. If this is not possible, we will then prepare for litigation.
- Litigating your case in court: If we cannot reach a fair settlement agreement with your opponent, we will take them on in court. As an accident victim, you deserve full and fair compensation for your injuries. This is why we will fight tooth and nail on your behalf to secure every penny that you deserve.
Amazon Delivery Truck Accident Settlements
Every case is unique, so it is difficult to estimate a case’s value without examining all the details. We recommend scheduling a consultation with our Michigan personal injury attorneys so we can take a closer look at the accident. This may give us the necessary information to estimate your case’s value. Generally, the following damages are added to calculate the value of a case.
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage
- Attorney fees and court fees
The best way to estimate the value of a case is to thoroughly investigate it. If you were injured by a negligent Amazon delivery truck driver, you deserve to obtain compensation.
Contact the Amazon Delivery Truck Accident Lawyers at Lipton Law
If you have been injured in an accident with an Amazon van or truck, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against them. The Michigan truck accident lawyers at Lipton Law have extensive experience taking on large companies after commercial accidents. We have the knowledge and legal firepower you need to secure a recovery, and we’ll do all the heavy lifting for you. To schedule a free consultation about your case, please call Lipton Law at 248-557-1688 today.